Thursday, June 2, 2005

Earn $100 for Watching MTV!

I received the following email regarding a post from back in February “Sex And Nudity On MTV?...I'm Shocked!!!!”

This individual has made an interesting accusation, but an even more interesting offer I thought you might like to take them up on.

Craig,

You refer to your blog site as "Uncommon Sense" but perhaps it should be called "Uncommon Lies." I just came across a story you carried on Feb. 4 of this year, which claims there is nudity and sex on MTV. While it is true that there there are plenty of sexual situations and verbal sexual references on that cable channel, it stops right there. MTV does not, I repeat, does not show nudity. It censors out all nudity at all hours of the day, period.

Anyone who claims to have seen nudity on MTV is either lying or hallucinating. In fact, I'll issue a challenge to anyone who still thinks I'm wrong. I'll pay $100 each for every verifiable incident of nudity on MTV. Don't worry, I'm not risking anything by making this challenge. I've never had to pay out a dime on it and I never will.

To protect the integrity of your blog site, you should immediately disavow that story.

Regards,

Terry Mitchell
www.commenterry.com


This was my response:

Terry,

Thank you for your comments, however obtuse they may be.

The quote that I used was from the CBS News article on MTV. I even made it a point to link to the article. So I think your accusing me of lying is a bit of a reach.

Not that I have any problem disavowing CBS News, but if you sincerely have a problem with the accuracy of their story, take it up with Dan Rather…ugh… I mean CBS News.

But I will also say this, there is very little difference between showing a woman completely nude and showing her in thong and a bra or with her exposed nipples distorted using computer graphics. And anyone who thinks there is a significant difference is either in complete denial, seriously needs glasses or is a poster child for the coarsening of our culture.

There is a reason why those in the rap industry have dubbed these women “Video Hoes.” Their provocative displays denigrate women, especially those who are professional dancers. These talented artists are being replaced in today’s music videos with less talented women who are willing to get as naked as legally possible on national TV in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator of modern culture.

Now as much as I disagree with it, I support their right to this! But I don’t think it should be on TV at all times of the day. AND IT IS!

And if MTV, VH1 and BET have a right to televise it, then I have a right to call my cable company and complain. Just as you have a right to conatct me and complain about my Blog.

You get an A for effort. But an F for substance.

Craig DeLuz

Visit The Home of Uncommon Sense…
www.craigdeluz.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's my response to your response.

>The quote that I used was from >the CBS News article on MTV. I >even >made it a point to link to >the article. So I think your >accusing > >me of lying is a bit >of a reach.

Okay, I'll retract the assertion about your lying. However, you posted the article on your blog as if you believed it to be true. Now that I have removed the blinders and opened your eyes to the truth, you should post something on your blog, disavowing the article and acknowledging that it is inaccurate. If you have already done this, I apologize. I you haven't, I'm still waiting. By not doing so, you (as well as CBS) are complicit in a lie.

>
>Not that I have any problem >disavowing CBS News, but if you >sincerely have a problem with the >accuracy of their story, take >it >up with Dan Rather?ugh? I mean >CBS News.

I have and will continue to do so. Of course, CBS is only slightly more repsonsible than you are. The real liars here are Brent Bozell and his PTC minions. They are the ones making the claims about seeing "nudity" (yeah, right) on MTV. This is not the first time. They seems to be willing to say anything to forward their agenda. I've tried to contact them several times before, but they won't respond because they obviously have a major problem with the truth.

>
>But I will also say this, there >is very little difference between >showing a woman completely nude >and showing her in thong and a >bra or with her exposed nipples >distorted using computer >graphics. And anyone who thinks >there is a significant difference >is either in complete denial, >seriously needs glasses or is a >poster child for the coarsening >of our culture.

Oh yeah, the FCC seems to see a big difference! As lewd as that February 2004 Superbowl halftime show was, I submit that there would not have been a single fine handed out had Janet Jackson not flashed her nipple.

Besides, you're missing the point here. You might not think there's a significant difference, but so what? It doesn't matter what you think. That's a red herring. The truth is the only thing that matters and, all too often, it falls victim to opinion and popular belief. The point is that the article says there is nudity on MTV when, in reality, there is not. If people want to complain about the stuff that you listed, fine, they should cite those things they way you just did and speak out against them. However, they shouldn't make up stuff when they have plenty of ammunition without having to do so.


>
>There is a reason why those in >the rap industry have dubbed >these women ?Video Hoes.? Their >provocative displays denigrate >women, especially those who are >professional dancers. These >talented artists are being >replaced in today?s music videos >with less talented women who are >willing to get as naked as >legally possible on national TV >in order to appeal to the lowest >common denominator of modern >culture.

Once again, we could argue all day about this (and I actually agree with much of what you are saying) but that's not the point here.

>
>Now as much as I disagree with >it, I support their right to >this! But I don?t think it should >be on TV at all times of the day. >AND IT IS!

No argument here, but that's still not the point.

>
>And if MTV, VH1 and BET have a >right to televise it, then I have >a right to call my cable company >and complain. Just as you have a >right to conatct me and complain >about my Blog.

But the PTC doesn't have a right to make false accusations. (And you and CBS shouldn't be such willing accomplices to it). Of course, CBS is infamous for not checking out stories before running with them.

>
>You get an A for effort. But an F >for substance.

Maybe, but everything I've said has been accurate. That's more than I can say for the PTC nimrods and their ilk.